Monday, February 26, 2007

Mon, Feb 19 – Starbucks in Key West

I experienced an extraordinary phenomenon today, I think.

As I was leaving the ship today, I had only one thing on my mind. One mission. One sole task to accomplish before I came back to the ship to endure another 7-day Western Caribbean tour, not to return to the United States until Sunday.

I wanted STARBUCKS.

What is it about this chain that attracts us like moths to the flame? What is it about their particular brand of coffee that makes us willing to shell out exorbitant prices for a simple drink made from beans, dressed with milk, cream, sugar, and spices that is way too high in calories and far too low in actual nutrients? A drink which provides the temporary satisfaction of great flavor and the longer-term (though too quickly worn off) effects of caffeination?

All I knew was that I had $5 in my pocket and I wanted a ‘Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte, non-fat, no whip.’ The name was repeating in my sub-conscious like the one line of a song that you can’t get out of your head.

On my way down the gangway, the US Coast Guard fellows were making polite conversation and asked me where I was going, since I obviously didn’t look like the rest of the wide-eyed tourists laden with cameras and beach bags. “Starbucks,” was the only word I uttered. Their subtle response of silent surprise and amusement entreated me to expound, “I want coffee.”

Eager to help, the first guardsman pointedly offered, “If you want good coffee, there’s a little coffee place right over there that serves great Guatemalan coffee, better than Starbucks.” The latter name he muttered with a bit of growl to show his preference for the former.

Already a few steps off the gangway and into the square, I stopped to turn back over my shoulder and smile at him, thanking him for his recommendation, but quipping, “If I want Guatemalan coffee, I’ll get it fresh IN Guatemala on Thursday. Today I’m in the United States… and so I want American Starbucks.”

And that was the end of that.

No comments: