Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Humor in the layover

Can I take a minute to just tell you how God keeps me in check?

Monday, Houston International Airport… I had a 3-hour layover, so I planned to do some work on the computer while sitting at the gate waiting for my plane to arrive. You know… multi-tasking, using my time wisely. My addiction to Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte is so bad that when terminal B’s Starbucks told me they were out of that flavor, I actually opted to walk all the way to terminal E’s Starbucks rather than choose another flavor at terminal B. (Somebody… stage an intervention! This Pumpkin Spice Latte addiction is out of hand!)

So I got my pumpkin spice latte and I’m settled in to wait for my flight at gate C-43. My plane isn’t due to start boarding until 11:30, so when there are no other passengers at the gate by 10 am, I’m still not too worried. Megan calls, and we spend at least an hour catching up. Well, I thought it was at least an hour… did I cross a time zone? How come no one is coming to this gate?

Finally, nature calls, I pack up my computer, and gather up all my things, all the while listening to Megan’s conversation on my hands-free cell phone, about to take this conversation with me into the restroom. But as I pass by the departures board on the way, I happen to glance at the clock… 12:02. Doesn’t my flight leave at 12:10? Wouldn’t it have started boarding at 11:30? I glance back at the gate, which is still completely devoid of any passengers. Someone’s clock must be wrong…? “Megan,” I interrupt her mid-sentence, “What time is it?”

“Um….” She looks for a clock where she is, but doesn’t see one. “I don’t…. know.”

Just at that very moment, I hear a lady’s voice on the airport intercom paging me urgently, “Passenger Garza, please report to gate C-34 immediately.” As in, if you don’t get here like YESTERDAY, you are gonna miss your flight!!!

“Megan! I’ve gotta RUN!”

And that’s exactly what I did. Fully loaded with my computer bag, backpack, and empty Starbucks cup in hand, I bolted around the corner to gate C-34, every worst-case scenario possible running through my head faster than I could run through the airport. People are staring as this lunatic lumbers down the corridor, clearly panicked. Huffing and puffing, I arrived to gate C-34 and announced myself to be the missing Passenger Garza. They didn’t check my ID or my ticket, they simply yanked open the door to the gate chute and urged me to run! So I ran a little more. Finally seated in 26D on my flight, I breathed and went back over the situation in my head….

I was sitting alone at gate C-43 for over two hours. I don’t have a watch – a situation I must remedy as soon as possible. But my flight pulled away from gate C-34…. 43….. 34….. I check my ticket to see whose mistake this was.

The ticket says C-34. And I can hear God chuckling at my bone-head confusion. And as I sit there in 26D, I just laugh with him, just Praising Him that I made it on this flight, that I won’t have to explain to my new bosses how I missed the flight they bought me just because I was on the phone and chasing coffee. Praise the Lord, I am on my way to Los Angeles!

God is good. And yes, He has a sense of humor.

No comments: