Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wed, Jan 24 – Flu and vocal rest

Well, unfortunately I haven’t blogged in about a week, and worse than that, I haven’t been off the ship or out into a single port for six straight days! I’ve had the symptoms of an oncoming flu, and as that is a major work hazard for me, the ship’s doctor has put me on a strict regimen of vocal rest.

While I haven’t been sick enough to be quarantined (it’s only the SYMPTOMS of flu, so this is just precautionary treatment), the doctor has actually suggested that I get out for some fresh air and visit the ports. The only restriction is that I am not allowed to speak at all – which is VERY hard to do when you’re a visitor in a new country! It’s a pain to have to write everything down, things like asking directions or prices. And especially when you’re in a country where English is not the first language. It puts TWO language barriers between you and the locals.

So :::sigh::: I have resigned myself to stay aboard and rest as much as possible, even more than the doctor ordered, so I can get back to work as soon as possible. Granted, I have missed such wonderful ports as Dominica, Grenada, Barbados, Venezuela, Bonaire, and Aruba that I was really looking forward to, since these are six new countries I’ve never been to before, and even from the deck of the ship they look really amazingly beautiful. But more than that, I have missed singing six Lido sets and one sailaway. Luckily, my boys have covered for me not being there with them, playing a lot of instrumental jazz.

And everyone around me has been SOOO wonderful being patient with my gestures and charades and taking time to write things down so they can read them. Being quiet has made me a much better listener, and has taught me again how to think before I speak. It’s been a hard time, but a good lesson learned.

The good news is: I am on the mend! Even today I feel better, and the doctor has officially returned me to “light duty.” But my Music Director and my Cruise Director have requested that I rest for one more day, then get back into it slowly tomorrow to gear up for tomorrow night’s big Officer’s Ball, at which they will definitely need a good singer. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments: